Thursday, February 14, 2019

Texts With Nolan


This past weekend me, Larry, Susan, and Amy were in Coachella for Amy’s equestrian polo tournament.  We stayed at the Indian Palms Vacation Club, which is exactly as old and weird as it sounds.

When I checked in, there were two octogenarian ladies checking in ahead of me, and they each had only one question: “Where is the nearest Walmart?”

So imagine my surprise when later that evening I began receiving texts about “fun events” at the Vacation Club.

I reproduce the texts in their entirety because we found them hilarious.  It is true that we were all imbibing Jamesons, and two of us were smoking the devil’s lettuce, but here goes.

‪+1 (760) 566-6689:
         Hello Lang,  Join us tomorrow for Towel Art at 10am and our ever-popular Vodka Snow Cones.

Katherine Lang:
         Ummmm who sent this message? What is Towel Art??

‪+1 (760) 566-6689:
         This is the indian palms vacation club's texting service. We send out notifications of the various activities we have throughout the week. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

Katherine Lang:
         Thanks for your quick reply, but I still want to know about Towel art
+1 (760) 566-6689:
         One of our housekeepers teaches our guests how to do a hotel towel origami. It's usually a towel folded into a shape of an animal.

Katherine Lang:
         Thanks again for your quick reply!! Does this event draw big crowds??
+1 (760) 566-6689:
         I have heard that it is pretty popular with the guests, but the turnout varies from week to week.

Katherine Lang:
         I can well believe that the elderly patrons I have seen thus far would enjoy a good swan-shaped towel, but do they really turn up for Vodka Snow Cones????
+1 (760) 566-6689:
         The vodka snow cones are far more popular during the summer months, but we do have at least one or two people stop buy to grab one each week.

Katherine Lang:
         So, let me get this straight - if we show up in the activity office at 10 am, we will be taught to make towel animals and given complimentary vodka treats?
+1 (760) 566-6689:
         The Vodka snow-cones will be at 3pm. so it is a separate event from the towel art. A time-chart calendar of events is located at the front desk, we just send these texts out as a reminder or to ask guests to RSVP.

Katherine Lang:
         Thanks SO MUCH for the info!! I will stop by the front desk first thing tomorrow to get a full roster of these fascinating events.

As I checked out, I said to the young man with ginger hair who was manning the desk,
“I’m sorry I missed the vodka snow cones.  Were you the person I was texting about them?”

Blushing to the roots of his hair, he mumbled “No, that was Nolan.”  I just wish I had gotten the chance to meet Nolan in the flesh.


No comments:

Post a Comment