Saturday, April 13, 2019

The Fairy "Chimneys" of Cappadocia


Audiobooks have improved my life immensely.  I do not mind doing my housewifely chores if I can do them while listening to an audiobook.  I cannot honestly say that I now look forward to matching clean socks, chopping onions, walking the dog, or weeding the patio, but the audiobooks definitely help.

I am an Audible subscriber, so I get a lot of helpful suggestions about what I might like to listen to next.  Frequently I use my credits to get some trending favorite that I probably otherwise wouldn’t listen to, sort of like a large, anonymous book club for my ears.

Yesterday I was doing laundry and listening to “Wishes and Wellingtons” by Julie Berry (narrated by Jayne Entwistle).  This book is marketed as a “middle school fantasy”, but it is trending among middle-aged housewives, so I downloaded it.

As the genie is ferrying the spunky orphan boy, the feisty girl who refuses to be defined by her gender, and the sweet sidekick boarding school roommate from London to Persia, the group passes over “the fairy chimneys of Cappadocia”.

Okay, this is why I love reading all sorts of books – there’s always something new to learn.  I’ve never heard of the fairy chimneys.  Thanks to the internet, in minutes I was viewing photos of them.

They are fantastical rock formations located in Turkey.  Of course, my first thought on viewing them was “fairy chimneys?  They look more like fairy phalluses”, but I can see why the term fairy chimneys was chosen instead.

May I suggest that you look up the fairy chimneys and spend a pointless hour or so reading about them, as I did?  It is truly a strange and wonderful world that we are lucky enough to live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment