Thursday, January 3, 2019

Day Drinking


We have returned from our trip to Savannah, so my carefree days of municipally sanctioned day drinking are over for now.

Savannah allows, in fact encourages, its visitors to carry drinks around town in plastic cups.  This, combined with the warm weather, leads to a consistently festive atmosphere.

There are hundreds of cafes around the leafy squares and along the riverfront where you can plant yourself and order bourbon drinks.  And then if you decide you’d like to stroll around, they just dump your cocktail in a solo cup.

When we were last in Savannah eight years ago we saw an enormous container ship sail upriver and I this trip I really, really wanted to see one again.  I am happy to report that my daughters supported me in this endeavor and we spent three pleasant afternoons drinking cocktails by the river and hoping for a ship.

In the evenings as darkness fell, we would walk back through the squares to our house, stopping occasionally in bars to get an old-fashioned to go.  I am kind of glad this is not an option in my town.  I mean, maybe the thrill wears off after a while, but maybe it doesn’t, and five old-fashioneds a day can’t be good for you on a consistent basis.

I had a great time in Savannah, my one regret being the lack of a ship.  And then, on our last day in town, while eating hush puppies and grits by the river, I spotted a ship coming upriver!!  Calooh! Callay!  I chortled in my joy.  I ran to the riverfront, and watching the humongous ship pass by was as good as I had hoped it would be.

Farewell for now, Savannah, I hope one day to be back enjoying a plastic cup of cocktail and strolling through your squares.


No comments:

Post a Comment