Friday, December 28, 2018

The Most Annoying Tour Guide - Me!!


My husband’s extended family have rented a house in Savannah, Georgia for the time between Christmas and New Year’s. 

For the past two days I have been frantically trying to re-read “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil”.  If you’ve never heard of it, you weren’t in a book club in the 90s.  It is nominally a story about a murder that took place here in 1981, but is really a love letter to Savannah.

Everyone I know who has read the book, which is basically every woman I know since we are all in book clubs, wants to come to Savannah.

And here I am!  But now I am torn between the Savannah of the book and the Savannah that is literally outside my door.  I want to finish the book so I can annoy my family by pointing out things they care nothing about, such as the location of Emma’s Piano Bar, an establishment which closed years ago, since the book’s events all take place before 1990.

Before taking a trip, I read everything I can get my hands on about where we are going.  But then I can only remember bits and pieces.  So I act as a super-annoying and forgetful tour guide, stopping in the middle of streets to point out where someone may or may not have lived and something may or may not have happened at some undetermined time in the past.

OK, I have to go now and speed read the rest of this book since I think we are taking a trolley tour of town this afternoon, and I will absolutely be trying to talk over the tour guide to regale my family with half-remembered facts.  You’re welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment